Halloween is my favorite holiday. This year I saved myself a lot of trouble by buying my son’s astronaut costume. Of course that just freed me up to turn the wagon into a space shuttle. I didn’t write up any detailed plans as all wagons are different but here’s the general idea.
- Turn the wagon on its side, trace a rough side panel that will wrap around the back and front. Make 2.
- Tape to the wagon temporarily. Packing tape / Hot glue to keep its shape.
- Be sure to cut around the wheels, especially if they turn.
- using wire or strips of corrugated cardboard, form the wire frame of the nose cone.
- Paper mache the nose with brown paper bags. My paper mache mixture is just 10 parts water to 1 part corn starch and some salt, simmered on the stove and cooled. It stays nice and stiff.
- Paper mache around any joints or edges.
- The engines are made from painted poster board stapled into a tube. The ends are cut about 6″ and folded inward to allow for a surface area to glue.
- Wings are corrugated cardboard, scored and staple gunned / glued to the sides.
- The rest was painted white with old house paint and the details were either printed out and colored in or painted on with my stash of craft paint.
The perfectionist part of my brain wanted to keep adding to the nose cone to make it smooth and even but I had to let it go when my son was begging to get to the paint. This is all designed to slip on and off the wagon. They had a great time. What do you think?