Ok, I’ll admit it. The previous post about a scrap yarn afghan? It got UGLY and I ripped the whole thing out.
Instead, I found a pattern here at Crochet in Color for a hexagon scrap yarn afghan.
I’ve altered the last row of the pattern slightly by crocheting in the actual loops of row 2 for the 3rd row while still crocheting the corners into the open spaces. I find that it makes it a little more polished looking but there’s nothing wrong with following their pattern.
I also wanted to find a better way to block them without taking up a ton of room with a blocking mat out for the next year. I came up with this:
A big piece of packing foam with kabob skewers cut in half and poked in at the right places did the trick. I finish each hexagon, tie in the center end, spray with a little bit of water, and stack them up. Long tails are left on purpose for future sewing.
I really want to use up all the scraps I have. If I’ve calculated this correctly, for a queen sized blanket, I’ll need approximately 900 hexagons. Yikes……. I plan on waiting until the very end to sew them together to make sure the colors are distributed as randomly as possible. Someday I’ll have an update as the sewing process begins. They work up really quickly and I might be on hexagon 50 or so right now…….